Thursday, December 23, 2004

Christmas Concert

I went with my family to the Kennedy Center in D.C. last night, to hear the Washington Chorus. Many of the songs were familiar, although they had a new arrangement for O Magnum Mysterium. I enjoyed Sing Hevin Imperial greatly, but I loved best Elohim Hashivenu. The lyrics are as follows, in Hebrew and then in English.

Elohim hashivenu.
Vehaer panecha, venivashea.
Elohim tsevaot, hashivenu,
Vehear panecha, venivashea.
Adonai, Elohim tsevaot, hashivenu.
Haer panecha, venivashea.

O Lord God, turn our hearts unto Thee.
Shine Thy light upon us, and we shall be saved.
O Lord God Almighty, turn our hearts unto Thee.
Shine Thy light upon us and we shall be saved.
Our Father, O Lord God Almighty, turn our hearts unto Thee.
Shine Thy light upon us, and we shall be saved.

Notice how the names of God build on one another. First it is "O Lord God," then "O Lord God Almighty," and finally that overwhelming "Our Father, O Lord God Almighty." It made me long all over again to learn Hebrew. I wonder if there are seminaries somewhere that will teach girls, not so that they can become preachers--my understanding of biblical doctrine forbids that--but just to know and to understand... Augustine's scire et intellegere.

The Kennedy Center was as I remembered it from several previous visits; grand after a late 60's fashion, carpeted in deep, bright red. We spent a few minutes strolling on the broad marble terrace, and watched the Potomac flow by. There is nothing like the pomp and circumstance of D.C. at night, in the Center especially. I would have preferred to be at the Cathedral, for I do not especially enjoy 60's architecture, but the acoustics were wonderful, and the selection exquisite. I will not attempt to describe music in prose. For that one needs poetry at least. Sufficive to say here that the Hallelujah Chorus from Handel's Messiah was breathtaking, and that, having acquired much more appreciation for good music over the last several years, my expectation of enjoyment was, in every way, met and exceeded.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home