Saturday, December 18, 2004

Revisions of Style

During a break from school, I try to discipline myself toward the writing of a blog post each day. Believe it or not, diurnal blogging is a wonderful writing exercise.

"Christy, you know that I differ from you in style..."

"Yes, Danya."

"And I'm not saying that I don't like your posts..."

I laughed. "What is it, kiddo?"

"Well, your style is... um... intense."

"That's bad?"

He tried again. "It's not BAD. It's just a little--oversaturated."

I pondered. "How far off the mark are we talking here? On a scale of one to ten?"

He scratched his head. "Maybe a three?"

"So you don't want me to delete the stuff I've done."

"No! Not at all."

I grinned. "Next post I write, Danya, I'll have you check it for me. Thanks for the critique, and I'll work on it over Break."

"Cool! Oh, Krasiva, I have so much cool stuff to show you..."

And believe me, he does. Aside from his extensive photobucket collection, and the five-minute movie (a modern version of the Prodigal Son) that he did for one of his final projects, my little brother is a gifted writer. He's dead-accurate in saying that our styles differ. Danya tends to be understated, sometimes too much. I tend to favor description and repetitio, MUCH too much.

I'm so grateful for my favorite critic, and I'll be playing around with different styles for the rest of Break.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home