Sunday, January 02, 2005

Behold, the High Queen Cometh

One of my dearest friends is coming to spend the night with our family. Sarah, also known as the High Queen, is an RD at Patrick Henry. She would love to get rid of the halo which popular consensus has bestowed upon her, but I'm afraid it is stuck on tight. I enjoy Sarah for her humility and sense of humor, her practical jokes and focus on the cross. No matter what we do together, whenever I am with her I have the sense that she is in constant, quiet, but sensitive communication with Christ.

You should not, my dear, make the mistake of picturing a Madonna. Sarah is graceful, and "the turn of her fair countenance" is calm, but she is no tame girl. I have known her to TP cars and impersonate villains... yet her jokes are always in excellent taste, and hurt no one. She is the sort of person with whom I would engage in a snow fight, which is more than I can say for most girls. Generally I find that it is only boys who fight with enthusiasm, yet I am quite sure that Sarah would not hesitate to rub my face in the snow... and give me hot chocolate afterwards.

She is the genuine article, the sort of person who is overwhelmingly real. A conversation with Sarah never lacks for depth; it is not made of empty phrases or mere information. Talking to Sarah about God is not awkward, but rather customary, and delightful. Indeed, a discussion with her upon any subject--academic or otherwise, theoretical or practical--is sure to be mellifluous, reasonable, spiced with wit and wisdom, ultimately edifying.

In God's mercy, I have been blessed with many mature friends of both genders. This certainly is divine grace for, I assure you, I do not deserve them. Among these a few form my inner circle of those whom I respect, desire to emulate, and deeply enjoy. I wish here to honor and thank God for a member of that interior sphere: Sarah, the High Queen.

(If Sarah ever reads this, she will be laughingly furious with me for giving her such an exalted title. But what can she do? In my house, it is I who know where the ice, balloons, fake snakes, and booby traps are kept. Ha!)

1 Comments:

Blogger Pinon Coffee said...

In truth, Sarah is our high queen. She cannot escape it. She got dragged into our "shenanigans" one evening, acquired the title, and it's here to stay. It's just so appropriate. To start with, as RD she truly has authority; as a Christian, she is a particularly good egg; and as high queen, we love to obey her and give her honor. On a more practical level, we medieval enthusiasts need her to keep order among all the petty royalty floating about. :-)

She does not like the title, being humble, but I think it is good to have her to look up to--good for everyone, freshman boys on up; as Christy said, her halo is stuck on tight. :-) Sarah too is mortal, yes, and even sinful, but that's fine. She's also quite redeemed.

3:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home