Sunday, January 16, 2005

Godspell

According to one of my textbooks--and there are so many that I forget which it was--the word "Godspell" is actually Old English for "Gospel." Music from the Godspell soundtrack is pouring from my headphones as we speak, and what I wish to speak of, my dear, is the spell of God.

When one thinks of a spell or enchantment, one usually thinks of it manifesting itself through whisps of blue smoke, or showers of sparks. The Godspell has many such accompanying aesthetics... but they change and vary, as befits the best of all enchantments.

At this moment, it is a shower of snow, not sparks. At this moment, it is a peppermint stick in my mug of Italian cocoa. At this moment, it is the fact that my RA induced her fiance to record a silly message on my roommate and I's answering machine, so that now our parents will wonder what on earth is going on and why there is a guy's voice representing our dorm room. At this moment, it is the blissful thought of how we will get back at our RA, mingled with silent awe and admiration, for it truly was a devious prank.

At this moment, it is the Calie students destroying their dignity by engaging in snowball fights with a mere inch of snow for material. New England snobs, such as myself, sit comfortably in their tower rooms and remark to their roommates that they would not stoop to a snowball fight in less than six inches of the fairest element.

At this moment, it is the fact that as of yesterday I am a member of Grace Community Church. At this moment, it is Jeff Purswell's sermon on Philippians 2:1-11. Somehow I had not quite realized that when Christ assumed human form, he assumed it forever. It wasn't a mask that he could remove at ressurection. Christ added human nature to his divine nature, and in doing so condescended beyond belief, beyond what our senses or memories have the vocabulary to express.

At any given moment, there are tangible evidences of the Godspell. Snow, friends, peppermint, fun RA's, profound sermons, prayer, our time of worship at the Singles Meeting two nights ago, socks, dramatics, stories, poems, Scripture, delicate glassware, cobbled streets, saffron and crimson, a roommate who understands about writing, Psalm 42, Isaiah 40 and 53...

My dear, my dear, we have all this, and heaven too! And so I can only echo a sentance that I heard once:

"If it is a lie, it is the sweetest lie I ever heard."

If there is no Aslan and no sun, and the Godspell is only all a falsehood, then it is the sweetest lie I ever heard.

But it is not a lie.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pinon Coffee said...

I suppose Trissie could try to recreate the drop-add prank, but it really wouldn't be the same.

Ben, if I come up with ideas, do you want me to tell her? Not that I probably will; but on the other hand, lit papers are excellent creative times!

--Pinon Coffee <:3 )----

8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home