Monday, January 10, 2005

Shalott

My new room in Dorm 3 reminds me intensely of Tennyson's poem, especially those lines about the Lady of Shalott weaving in her tower the sights and sounds of people as they streamed past on their way "to Camelot." Originally, I was disappointed that my room no longer faces squarely on Lakum Bobum. But not so much, now. There is always the gazebo, if I must spend time in contemplation of water (which, I admit, is a mild obsession with me), and for now there is pleasure in watching as "up and down the people go"... and "gazing down to Camelot." I suppose that "Camelot" in this case is Dorm 4 (what a dreadful prospect!) or perhaps the farm across the lane.

I have been hobnobbing. Today I visited the Black Dragon, the Pharaoh of England, and had dinner with an Empress. I expect that the Pharaoh and her heir-apparent will be visiting Shalott later this evening, though the High Queen may not be able to come, as she has many obligations. Sooner or later the goddesses will get back, and then I shall have to trot over for tea with Juno and Venus. It reminds me of Oz and of my childhood, these whimsical highfalutin' nicknames. It reminds me also of what I was reading last night: Mark Twain's Life on the Mississippi is truly a chucklesome experience.

Ave and vale from PHC. Raise your glass to a new semester, and make sure that it contains nothing worse than sparkling cider.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pinon Coffee said...

O Puella--

Query: is soror mea my heir apparent?

--Pharaoh of England (and no, I'm NEVER wearing that truly hideous outfit again, particularly the makeup ;-))

4:43 PM  
Blogger Praelucor said...

I don't know who else would be the heir-apparent, Domina... ;)

10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home