Saturday, February 12, 2005

Linguistics... Romantics... It Must Be Spring!

"You're going to do what?"

"I'm going to rewrite my Linguistics paper on a new thesis."

"Yeah, but romantic love? Were you that hard up for ideas?"

"I was inspired by this truly foul textbook that I found in the library on how to write a romantic novel." I waved it under her nose.

"Ugh! Christy!"

I smiled my most innocent smile. "Yes?"

"Well, it's certainly interesting."

"I thought so. See you later!"

I stepped outside, musing. It was a rather odd combination, but I had to find some way to make linguistics interesting. Besides, love was one of the few things I could count on as a language-conception that has been written about since time began, and therefore one in which a good deal of change can be traced. Language change was the point of my paper; romantic love merely an example.

I lifted my head up to the brilliance of a windswept warm day in February, and laughed at myself. It was good to laugh, good to be young and free and worshipful towards God. "Oh Thou, my Holy Sweetness! Oh Thou, Thou best playmate! Thou dearest love, Thou richest color, Thou vision-filler and dream-maker!"

I can't remember a time before now when I have been so consistently joyful. I overflow with it, not just sometimes or in some moods, but more and more constantly, a steady flame, a brisk, lively burning. Sore throat or not, sunshine or not, sleep or not... still Spirit always.

Gaudate! Christus est natus!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home