Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Dr. Esolen

As a freshman, he awed me. As a soon-to-be senior, I find him intriguing and enlightening. Dr. Esolen is a man out of time, perhaps, but he belongs to the time with which I have always identified most--I mean the Middle Ages.

He knows the Bible well, and he knows his church fathers. He can quote Augustine or Aquinas. He reminds me of C.S. Lewis: always apt, always clear, always refreshing. Tonight I heard Dr. Esolen explain that, in his opinion, Bush deserves trust. What was perhaps more surprising was his quiet statement that he himself trusts our President. We students hear so many words, so many theories. It is somewhat rare to see people living them out.

This is the Dr. Esolen whom I know: a man with dark eyes that have seen much. Yet the faith, hope, even joy, in his gaze is undiminished. How many students could say the same?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home