Saturday, May 07, 2005

Apud Meorum Carorum

"Among my dear ones," as the saying--my saying, which I have just now invented--goes. I am home. I am hourly in the presence of Danya, who is my delight and kindred spirit, Burgee, who is my darling and friend, Mama, my BEST friend, Caridad, my shopping buddy and playmate, Mike, my partner in ministry and crime, Nate, my faithful caregiver, and Daddy, my fearless leader. Once, a long time ago, we did a breakdown of the family according to who would be which character in Winnie the Pooh. It ran as follows:

Daddy - Christopher Robin
Mummy - Kanga
Marjorie (Burgee) - Roo
Nate - Tigger
Mike - Gopher (so appropriate, considering that he is now a successful systems engineer)
Christy - Rabbit (yes, the bossy, whining, self-centered one. Also very appropriate)
Davy - Pooh (of course. How else could it be?)
Charity - Piglet (which just fits, if you know Danya and Caridad's relationship)

Guest starring on this show, as of a week ago, are Grandma and Grandpa, who just moved in with us, and my cousins Ned and Sarah Camille, who are also living with us, and our family Hobbit, Heloise (also called Sara). Grandma, Burgee, Caridad, Mummy, and I spent at least half the morning designing the Master Plan for the Back Yard Garden. My dear, it is a vast and complex arrangement, involving fish ponds and perennial beds and vegetable gardens and a big compost heap and cutting down some trees and planting others and I don't know what all else... and the Longaevi are simply thrilled.

"You will make for me a special nest in your new gazebo, Musa, for my music." Said Paradoxus, in his most Peter-Pan-ish tone... that is to say, a tone bonny, bright, and carelessly arrogant.

"Mater, Mater, will you plant PINK roses? Will you?" This from Posy, who has taken to calling me "mother."

"I really think that part of the garden should be all white flowers, so that I may dance there in the moonlight," says Simile, in her most persuasive tone of blue eyes.

"Your arrangements are imprecise and hardly to scale!" Chiasmus, of course.

"Naturally you will require my assistance in drawing up your plans, Musa. Soil balances are hard to maintain, and the research on various plants alone will consume my time for several months. I shall have to suspend my treatise on caterpillars! However, I am willing to assist you in this... endeavor." This from Litotes, whom I most certainly did NOT ask to help, but who is convinced that I can't accomplish anything without his sage advice.

The twins, mercifully, confined themselves to squeals of glee. I don't know what I would do without the everyday sweetness of Deton and Polly--they make the temper tantrums of the other four (Posy is never a trial, except when lost or pouting) bearable. I love them dearly, but goodness!--Longaevi can be troublesome!

I am very, very happy. I am also keenly aware that this is the blessing of God. I never have and never shall merit such a family, such a home, such a joyful, serving, loving, working, praying and doing and glorifying God environment. Omnis gloria ad te, my Holy Sweetness!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christy... fun reading this. My family has assigned Winnie the Pooh characters to ourselves as well... my somber younger sister as Eeyore, my bossy older sister as Rabbit (and my favorite quote to tell her is "this is no time to go to pieces, long ears!"), my bouncy little sister as Roo, Mom as Kanga, Dad as the wise old owl, and I... well, I would be Pooh, Bear of a Very Little Brain, whose head is stuffed with fluff :). - Thacia Olive

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home