Friday, May 27, 2005

Croquet

I knew it was coming. I mean, I can't run as fast and hard and continuously as I have been over the past two weeks without eventually losing it.

So, I lost it. I burst into tears while out with Mom late yesterday afternoon.

She took me home and smoothed me down as only mothers can, and mandated that I would be playing croquet with the family tonight. It was a beautiful evening, one of those rare early-summer evenings wherein coolness and sunshine are married to produce a perfection of temperature.

"But I promised to help Auntie with moving stuff," I objected. "I promised!"

"I'll call Auntie." Mom replied. "You are going to play croquet."

As it turned out, Daddy went over to Auntie's with me and we got the jobs she wanted us to do done in about ten minutes, and invited her to stroll down the street for croquet.

Then the fun began. My whole family has been insanely busy these past few weeks, without even time to hang out with ourselves. Davy and Burgee and I did trio singing into the heads of our mallets ("You're Never Fully Dressed Without A Smile" and others) between turns, and Mom cleaned up the rest of us (don't ever play my mother; she's way too good) and Grandpa finished up his lawn mowing and Grandma sat on the deck to watch. Mom and Dad flirted with each other outrageously (what else is new?) and Davy was his hilarious self. I've missed that guy so much!

Nate and Mike and Charity weren't there, but it was the biggest quorum I've seen outside of the dinner table and family meetings since I got home. More importantly, we were actually relaxing. People always tell us what a fun family we are, but what's awful is when we don't even have time to enjoy each other. Last night we had time, and man, we cut loose! I don't think I've laughed all week, but I laughed last night, and oh, it was good to laugh again!

I don't want you to think that I've been joyless. Thanks to good and consistent QT's, plus sheer unmerited divine mercy, my head has been above water (and that, my dear, is what they call grace). But it's been hard. It's been dragging.

So thank you, my Lord, for croquet. Thank you for a beautiful summer evening, for a chance to eat popsicles in a lawn chair and talk to Danya about art mediums while Mom and Auntie and Dad and Grandpa duke out a second round on the croquet lawn. Thank you for rest, and a chance to enjoy my dear ones.

There really isn't anyone like you, is there? Thank you for loving me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home