Monday, May 30, 2005

The Library

Oohhhhh.... it's lovely! It's absolutely lovely to have a real live library. I don't care if my back and shoulders and wrists and feet ache; and besides, I'm far from being the only or worst sufferer.

We all rose with Aurora to help Auntie move out her whole house. Then Mom and the girls (in this case, Burgee and I) trotted back down the street to sort hundreds of books and move heavy boxes. The result? Tall dark (and handsome) bookshelves flank the bay window, mirroring their twins on the opposite side of the room, and the summer light filters greenly through, softly gleaming on book leather, paperbacks (sad to tell, but at least they are good books), and the green-gold-brown carpet now queening it over our hardwood floor. Auntie's tall grandfather clock sits between the long windows, and the whole is so harmonious, so bookly, so golden and grand that it makes you want four hours to curl up with Spenser's Faerie Queene.

Not a chance, kid. This family is always on the go, and today is no exception. We moved Auntie all morning; we are giving a party all afternoon. Daddy is scheduled to tell the plot of his next novel to a bunch of teenagers, and so they are all happily gathered about his feet (metaphorically speaking) in the other room, slurping soda and eating chips. Daddy is a masterful storyteller, and he really needs an audience in order to get his plots sorted out. Fortunately, everybody and their grandmother wants to be his audience.

In other news, my room has acquired a bookcase (yay!) and a pile of new books, including Spurgeon's sermon notes, his commentary on the Psalms, various philosophical, theological, and fictional works which I can't remember just now, and Leland Ryken's Worldly Saints, an excellent argument in favor of the Puritans. I love that book!

For tonight, Nana is playing fairy godmother and ordering us catered food from a favorite restaurant (Chicken Out). Mike and Jessica called on their way home, with Jessica's family, from the beach.

"Hey, Christy! This is Jessica! We're on our way back from the beach, and we want you to come to Madagascar tonight!"

I sat down on the stairs (for the first time all morning, and it felt sooo good) and laughed. "Jess, I'm sorry. I just can't come halfway round the world tonight."

"No, silly! It's a movie. Mike and I want you to come see it with us!"

Naturally. What else would Madagascar be? And while we're on the subject, where is Madagascar? I mean the place, not the movie. Is it really halfway round the world?

To make a long story short, they persuaded me to come. It didn't take much doing. My brother Mike is a best friend, and Jessica is a best friend, and they're courting each other, and what it all boils down to is that I love hanging out with them. So I invited them to dinner, and checked with Nana to make sure it was all right.

"Why do I always see so many movies over the summer, and never any at school?" I asked myself ruefully, hanging up the phone. Answer: it's because everybody wants to go to movies in the summer, and, though they frequently do movies at school, I'm always able to duck out of them or find someone who wants to talk/read/walk/play air hockey. The bottom line is that, at home, going to see movies with people is a good way to love them. If you pick your movies well, they can spark interesting and important conversations too.

They say that movies are making literature obsolete.

I hope it's not true.

I think I'll go curl up in the Library and ignore that thought.

Wait, I can't. No time. Party. Dinner. Movie. Right.... life.

Oh well.

I like life too. :)

PS: Longaevi fans, brace yourselves. I have had a request to send them off for a short visit, and I could hardly refuse under the circumstances. Besides, they wanted to go. Therefore they dwell not in my midst, for I sent them off on the early coach, and shall not see their faces again until Saturday. Mourn not overly, neither weep, fret, nor bewail. Leave that to me. I shall miss them like the dickens.

Oh dear. Posy, I do hope that I packed a clean handkerchief for you!

1 Comments:

Blogger Praelucor said...

Swahili is a language. African, I think. Thanks for the geography lesson. :)

8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home