Thursday, May 19, 2005

Loose Ends and Freshmen

Hi, this is me. I interrupt my usual stream of semi-into-the-blue posts for a few specific comments to friends. It's easier than doing a mess of emails, though I shall probably wind up with some of those too. 0:)

1. Carolyn, aka Domina, aka Pinon Coffee, thank you for the comment. I enjoy your blog almost as much as I enjoy you, and I can't wait to get a nice long newsy email (hint hint) from New Mexico. Get lots of sleep, dear, and give Tex a pet for me. Hopefully I will be sending you The Book of Kells II to look over before ASEing it, as is our tradition. What would I do without you as chief quote-collector and fellow editor and sharer of late-night giggles? Better yet... I'll email it to you and we can laugh over it together on the phone. Pax ad te, cara Domina!

2. Stars, I blame you for the extraordinary difficulty I've had with Rhetoric tropes and schemes over the past week. I can't get them out of my head, and they're even cropping up in my writing! I'm so glad we were able to take that ramble through P'ville, and look forward to many more such next semester. Write to me, lest your lustrous literary skills become sadly degenerate over the summer. Oy vey... lustrous literary skills? I have obviously misplaced any that I ever could lay claim to. Pardon me while I go drown myself in somebody who can write. Whose style shall I copy? Whose would please you? Mark Twain? Jane Austen? Say hi to your boy for me, and give my love to your wonderful parents and grandparents.

3. O High Queen, it's been a solid week since I last talked to you, and I just can't stand it any longer. Write! Call! Give me an address and I'll post you a handwritten note on the paper I got in Florence, Italy! I'm that desperate! ;)

4. Nate, I promise that we will finish the story about Jim the Snail and his adventures in the garden patch. Unfortunately, it's been so long since we started it that I'm getting it mixed up with other stories. Do you happen to have a complete copy which you could send me so that I can remember where we left off?

5. Spitfire, what goes on? I drove through Delaware today on my way home from New England, thinking of you. How are the siblings, and how is work, and how is life, and what have you read lately, and I miss you!

6. Lisa, my baby sister and I came up with a new word in Latin. It's a smushing-together of "puella" and "amica," and means, in rough Valley Girl Latin, "girlfriend." Puellamica, please write so that I know you're alive and well, or send me the rest of you-know-what! I am still wondering whether your heroine marries the prince or the cripple.

7. Venus, aka Sarah, aka Latin Teacher par excellence, descend from Olympus and grant poor mortals audience, lest the sun grow dark in their eyes! I want to see your latest stories and hear how The Epic is coming.

8. O Roommate of My Last Semester, if you have a chance to read this, I want to hear about Seattle. I don't believe for a minute that it always rains there, and we haven't finished dissectiong Kingdom of Heaven yet, so I jolly well hope that you have email access. ;)

9. If I missed anybody, I apologize. Oh, by the way... you won't believe this, but we already have questions from next semester's incoming freshmen. Check the forum here for the latest and greatest. We have some splendid folks coming in this fall (if advance scouts don't lie), and I love the fact that we can start serving them early, thanks to postmodern technology, aka the internet. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home