Thursday, May 26, 2005

Posy's Pony (to be continued)

Burgee darling, this one is for you. I'm so glad that you're feeling all better. :)

When I brought the Longaevi home, I was a little concerned about how they would get on with Emma (not actual pictures, but the one hanging from the teddy bear looks just like her). I shouldn't have worried, at least about most of them. The older ones were friendly to her, and Paradoxus was downright courtly, because he is old enough to know that ferrets are to Longaevi rather as unicorns are to Narnian kings.

Posy didn't know this.

"Meus equus!" She cried at once, and ran to bury her tiny hands in Emma's fur and stroke her ears, which Posy can just reach. I was sure that Emma, at first nonplussed, would decide to attack this strange pink-winged creature who was making such a noise over her.

Perhaps it is because Posy is enchanting. Perhaps Emma decided that Posy is her cub, since Posy is really just a tumble of brown eyes and soft brown fur (or, in her case, hair). Maybe Emma has a good deal more sense and graciousness than I ever gave her credit for. Whatever the reason, I wasn't halfway across the room to rescue my littlest charge when, to my astonishment, I saw her actually scramble up on Emma's curved back and cry, "Veni, Equus!" And Emma, without turning a hair, began to waddle off with the bouncing Longaevi.

It was such a lovely, funny sight that I stopped to enjoy it. Of course, Posy ought to have said "go" rather than "come," but when little ones are excited they seldom think of these things. Posy's dark curls tumbled down her back between those rose-colored wings, and blended with Emma's sleek fur. Emma seemed to be enjoying her new playmate. I could make Posy a bridle out of a pink ribbon...

Paradoxus' head came out of his book--his green eyes sparked angrily. What on earth...?

"Noli audere, Onomatopoeia!"

Paradoxus never speaks harshly to Posy. I was shocked. "Paradoxus!"
"She ought not to ride the Ferret, Musa. It is not permitted."
"Why not?"
"Non suabilis est."
"But why isn't it suitable? They are both pleased; look at them!"

He gave the two a hard stare. "Ferrets are noble creatures among the Longaevi, and should be treated with respect. Posy is breaking the law, and The Emma is only allowing it out of kindness. She ought not. Perhaps she is too young, or has been away from Fairyland too long to remember her due."

Sometimes I could shake Paradoxus and be glad of it.

"Oh, carus, why must you say so? When have you ever seen a prettier picture? Leave them alone, do."
He turned his set expression on me, and gave me a cold bow. "As you wish, Musa."

So I won, but I didn't want to win, and I knew that I had failed to understand. I went to find Simile. Perhaps she could explain this strange Longaevi custom to me, and then I would be able to make my peace with Paradoxus. For I cannot be at odds with him; he is leader and eldest and king of his little band, and I need him to help me keep order. Besides, I do not want him to be angry with me. I don't like it at all; it makes me feel odd and cold.

Longaevi aren't just cuddly versions of the Lost Boys, you know. We don't make up fairies who conform to our whims. They aren't people, and they can't love, but neither are they playthings, and they can still be hurt. Their laws can still be violated.

"Oh, Paradoxus..." I sighed. "What am I to do?"

5 Comments:

Blogger sarah said...

Christy, *raises eyebrow* you and these Longaevi are perplexing me. I'm not sure what to make of them. If I didn't know you, I would say you had lost your mind. heh

2:29 PM  
Blogger Praelucor said...

Well dear, it's really quite simple...

1) Scroll back to the late April posts (Longaevi are mentioned before that, but not consistently) and be introduced to my flock. I thik that the title is "Paradoxus and Company"

2) Be it known unto you that my little sister has fallen in love with said creatures, and that writing about them is now a special thing for me to do with her.

3) Be it further known that they are my "writing exercise" for the summer, because it's good for me to juggle and develop seven different personalities at once.

That's why. :) I haven't gone mad or (what is worse) Romantic. You know how I feel about Romantic poets and their ilk. It's just fun, though I must confess that I am beginning to think I DO believe in fairies....

8:36 PM  
Blogger Ruhamah said...

Wow, Romantic worse than mad? I'll have to start quoting Tennyson just for you, to cure you of that notion.

9:23 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

Well, you slip over into their world quite well. You should write a book about them. :)

1:37 PM  
Blogger Praelucor said...

Tennyson is just about the only Romantic whom I can stand--Tennyson and Scott. So quoting him won't do you much good. ;)

Yes, I do "slip over into their world" quite easily. My education books on children tell me that, before the age of eight, children have trouble distinguishing between fantasy and reality. As you know, I'm a four-year-old. So it really fits. ;-)

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home