Tuesday, June 07, 2005

And They Quoted Happily Ever After

The ever-popular office quotes post returns to you!

“Mommy and the amazing technicolor dream curriculum!” – Davy, designing offset-printing color pages with Mom.

“The Emperor’s New Groove is the best cartoon movie ever!” – Garret
“Yeah!” – Nate
::Mom and Christy exchange a look of puzzlement::
“This must be a guy thing.” – Christy

“He was making fun of my Chinchilla rubs, so I started to tease him about his twitchy knees!” – Mom about Davy. Don’t worry, it makes sense on a Somerville sublanguage level. I’ve been waiting all year to watch these two in the office. They’re sooo funny!

“My deah chayld, Ah feah you are deloosional.” – Christy

“I need to brush up on my southern belle accent. This is fun!” – Christy

When someone decides to twist the quote game…
“’Do I look stupid? You know, I never thought of myself as stupid, but maybe I am.’” – Mom, quoting Sabrina
“’Do I look stupid to you? Yes!’” – Davy, quoting A Bug’s Life outtakes.
“Um, Honey…wrong answer. Do you know what I’m quoting?” – Mom
“I’m quoting A Bug’s Life.” – Davy
“But that’s not what I was quoting.” – Mom
“I know what you’re quoting! You’re quoting Sabrina.” – Davy, grinning.
“Yes, okay then! Respond properly, and don’t offer alternatives! That’s the code!” – Mom, chuckling by this time.

“I’ve hit a wall! This is the wall where I do what I must do when I hit this wall.” – Christy
“You’re gonna play My Heart Will Go On?” – Nate
“Yes! By the Vienna Boys Choir!” – Christy
“I know her well.” – Nate, about Christy, to nobody in particular.
“It’s just what I have to do when I hit this wall.” – Christy, apologetically.

“Does this work?” – Christy
“Yes Christy. Chocolate works.” – Nate

“Christy, your mother has a gratuitous ‘begat’ in her program.” – Laura, reading Teacher’s Notes.
“Really? What does it say?”
“’The gods of [Greek] mythology begat powerful cults…’” – Laura, reading aloud.
“Well, that’s interesting.” – Christy

“Wait a minute! Why am I the slave boy?” – David to Nate

“Where am I? I lost myself.” – Garret, pondering the timesheets book.

“Okay, I want to know. How did we jump from the Romans to the Celts?” – Christy
“The Romans sort of marched.” – Laura

“This could cleave a man’s skull!” – David, brandishing Nate’s battleaxe
“Yes, dear.” – Christy, peering at the computer screen and not really paying attention to the blade being swung about 6 inches from her face.

“The network is down. Why is the network down?” – Christy
“Mike’s here.” – David

“The chart! Where is the chart?” – Christy
“I ate it.” – Davy
“Oh really?” – Christy
“Yes. It tasted like a lemon cough drop.” – Davy

“Oh, by the way, I need you girls to write a final exam for Year 3 for me today… so I can give it to my students tomorrow.” – Mom
::Christy stares at her with wild surmise::
“Ooookay. Um, Laura. We need to drop everything and learn all of Unit 3 Year 3.” – Christy
“No, it’s a final exam.” – Mom
“Laura, we need to drop everything and learn all of Year 3.” – Christy, determined not to panic.
::Mom explains that she actually just wants Laura to write a few essay samples::
“Oh! Don’t scare me like that!” – Christy
::Mommy giggles::

“When I finish this, I’m going to knock off and celebrate.” – Christy, coming down the home stretch of a year’s worth of quizzes.
“Not until 5, Honey.” – Mom
“Oh, Mom. ‘Excessive attention to detail without sufficient interludes of hedonistic delight renders Jack a hebetudinous fellow!’” – Christy
“Yes, yes, I know what you’re saying. ‘Jack will be a dull boy.’” – Mom
“Hebetudinous!” – Christy

“Two pages!” – Mom
“You wrote two pages, Mom? Wow! ‘Author of 6,000-page homeschool curriculum writes two-page post! Thousands unimpressed!’” – Nate

Mom has this problem with math in general, numbers in particular, and especially phone numbers…
“How do you get to the home number?” – Mom, peering at Christy’s cell phone
“Um, you can just dial it….” – Christy
“Oh, that’s so nineties!” – Mom
“Mom, please tell me that you remember our home phone number.” – Christy
“Sure!” – Mom
::Mom stares at the phone, bites her lip, and looks up.::
“Is it ###-###-####?” – Mom
“Yes. Thank you!” – Christy
“This is so nineties…” – Mom, dialing

“I can’t think of a second essay for the Etruscans.” – Mom
“You should demand that they explain to you how to build an arch or something.” – Christy
“Yeah…” – Mom

“Oh, wow… so I open Week 35 and the first thing I see is: ‘In This Sign, Conquer!’ Then I realize that it’s the title of the week. But for a second there, I mean, poing! I was ready to go conquer!” – Christy

“It’s called a ‘rough draft.’…. Hello!” – Mom, playfully twisting a quote from Knight’s Tale.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ruhamah said...

I SO want to work with you guys. You havve way too much fun! :-)

3:09 PM  
Blogger Ruhamah said...

Excuse me. You HAVE way too much fun. And I have way too little proofreading ability.

3:10 PM  
Blogger Praelucor said...

We have way too much fun. That's true. Of course, it comes partially from overenthusiasm, overwork, overstimulation, and a generous ladling of intimacy. I dunno who said that familiarity breeds contempt, but I think they were overlooking the humorous aspect of familiarity. The bottom line is that we love being us. :)

I have no objection to either or both of you working with us. You are "folks," as Davy would say. Translation = "our kind of people." ;-) Come on down!

7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home