Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Courting and College

Points to Jonathan for proving to me once again that I am not insane. His comments on the student forum concerning courtship & college were almost word-for-word what I expressed to my mother in a miniature treatise on the subject about a month ago.

I began with this interesting insight: "Mom, I just realized something. Josh Harris never went to college!" This is true. Josh came to Gaithersburg MD instead, to train under C.J. Mahaney. Now, this doesn't mean that the relationship principles in I Kissed Dating Goodbye and Boy Meets Girl aren't spang-on. They are. But, as Jonathan rightly observed, courtship is meant to be lived out in a community of which the two families and especially the four parents are primary members and integral to the process.

Trying to do courtship right at college is just plain frustrating, from everything I've seen. Especially when I compare it to the courtship that my brother is walking out with one of my best friends here at home: night and day difference. Of course, there are problems on this end too. Mike recently quipped, "Our problem is that we have two functional (as opposed to dysfunctional) families, and they both want to spend time with us, and we don't have enough time!"

Mike is fully launched in his career, and Jessica is in nursing school even over the summer. They're kinda booked, especially since he leads a caregroup. Taking time with both of our busy families (whose schedules are almost impossible to mesh) is hard. To their credit, Mike and Jessica make the effort. The results are lovely in every way--it is such a delight! Mike is able to meet regularly with his courtee's father, and regularly talks with Dad about the courtship. Jessica lives at home, where she can receive the benefit of her wonderful mother's wisdom. It's just neat to see them walking through this season with so much humility and so much maturity. I attribute the former to the grace in their lives, and a large part of the latter to their parents' involvement.

Now, college. Most of my friends have courted somebody at some point, and there are times, watching them, when I thank God that he hasn't seen fit to put me in a similar position. It's tough. One always says that one won't lose focus on friends and become lost in just the other half of the couple. But one usually does, to some extent at least. The rare occasions when one or the other family (almost never both) is able to visit can be fraught with nerves and that nasty "what if they don't like me/my courtive?" feeling. Parents are never on the scene to offer their valuable (by "valuable" I mean priceless) wisdom.

It's just really hard to find perspective in an on-campus relationship. There's no one (except the engaged couples) who has gone before and can give you helpful observations. Your closest advisors are likely to be your single friends, who are well-meaning but frankly clueless. You spend every day all day with... guess who? There's never a break, never a chance to switch points of view (except summer, which is usually painful because you're used to being together all the time), and seldom anybody who knows how or when to challenge your behavior because, as I said before, they are your single friends and they're clueless. I know this because I've been one often enough. Or, if they are your friends who are in a relationship, they are clueless and emotional!

At this point I have moved well away from what Jonathan said, so don't blame him for any of it. My temporary conclusion--and if anybody cares to try and change my position, feel free. I seek to be highly persuadable, at least to good arguments--is that courtship at college is a higher degree of difficulty than courtship at home, requiring exceptionally close ties with one's parents, exceptional wisdom and perhaps even intuition on the parents' part, huge amounts of effort for everybody, and some unusual benefits. For example, you can't say you don't know the other person after you've been living on the same campus and spending most every day with them for one to two years (time given being the typical courtship longevity).

Yes, I think that's fair. There are distinct benefits to on-campus courtship, and I've been consistently blown away by the maturity of my friends who have courted on campus. The only claim I wish to make here is that it's harder (and should maybe be called something different) than the at-home version, and that I wouldn't care to try it without some pretty specific leading from God.

To conclude with a related but different concept, my mother made an observation the other day which fascinated me. We were talking with Mike and Jessica about this whole issue and about PHC, and she said something to this effect:

"It seems to me that there isn't necessarily all that much eros running around at PHC, but there is an awful lot of phileo. People are making really deep friendships. Maybe they are mistaking those friendships for exclusive romantic relationships."

Could it be that we think it somehow required of us to be in a committed, romantic, parent-approved relationship before we can have a close friend of the opposite gender?

5 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Adams said...

Hmm... well, yes, it's quite possible that you're both insane. JK :). Though I really don't think the thoughts of a lit major should be confined to what normal people consider to be sanity.

Here are a few more serious thoughts...

Perhaps courtship is impossible while at college, and perhaps not; it really depends on how we're defining courtship, how we're classifying romantic relationships.

And I don't know that labeling different relationships and deciding what constitutes as a "courtship" and what doesn't is really that helpful. We could call "romantic relationships while at college" Kalamazoo and it really wouldn't affect anything. The important thing is to pursue God's will, to walk in love toward others, to honor our parents, to guard our hearts. Whether the romantic relationships people may have while at school, or via long distance, or while overseas -- whether all these can be defined as a traditional courtship or not really strikes me as irrelevant. Maybe I am glossing over an important issue, but I would say, "call it what you want, just make sure it's right."

Pursuing a romantic relationship with both individuals and their parents in the same locale is perhaps ideal, but often (if not usually) impossible. I know 2 people who are currently courting; 1 in Virginia and the other in Georgia; 1 is going overseas and the other to college in the Midwest. Not necessarily the convenient "boy next door" scenario, but that's life.

If I remember correctly, Josh Harris didn't do his courtship while at college, no, but he wasn't home with his parents, nor was Shannon. That's not to say it didn't present extra challenges for them, but obviously, it worked.

Honoring parents should play an important role in romantic relationships -- if for no other reason than that good in-law relationships are extremely important. But I would avoid considering parents the fountain of all wisdom when it comes to courtship. Yes, they do give valuable counsel. But parents as human beings can also give emotional, clueless reactions, either the positive "my little girl is falling in love and soon we'll have grandchildren!" or the negative "someone's going to steal my little girl away from me? aaah!" So I would say, yes, parents should be involved, and yes, their counsel is important, but they shouldn't be the sole counselors, and their presence or absence does not necessarily determine success.

I also would not say that single friends are frankly clueless. Yes, they sometimes are -- and sometimes emotional as well -- but they can give very wise advice, advice that I have really benefited from in the past.

Regarding close friendships with the opposite gender, friendships that are in no way romantic and never expect to be -- I think this is possible but we must be very careful. What can so easily happen is that one person is thinking "my future spouse" and the other person is thinking "my good friend." I value my friendships with guys; I think it's good and healthy for brothers and sisters in Christ to fellowship together; but we do need to be careful and try to avoid, on both sides, raising expectations that we are not going to fulfill.

So there are just some thoughts...

4:32 PM  
Blogger Praelucor said...

I don't know what you were thinking, Jonathan, but let me take the opportunity to honor you for walking through it with integrity. You did almost as well as my own brother, Mike, who started his first courtship when he was 19. I can't give higher praise than that. :-)

On the other hand, there's a big difference between Mike at 19 and Mike at just-turned-23... there's also a HUGE difference between his first and third courtships. So maybe there's hope for the immature to become more, um, mature. ;-)

Lisa, I'm not really talking about the NAME so much as the CONNOTATIONS of our current word: "Courtship." I agree that we "could" call it anything we like, but that certain principles should go into it. Does that help to clarify my position? Sorry for being vague. :-/ Good point about Josh and Shannon, though I should add that Josh had the family he was living with (C.J. Mahaney), and Shannon had her caregroup leader or somebody involved. There were people standing in loco parentis for them.

The questions I want to answer right now folks, if you'd like to pursue them with me, are two:

1) Do parents (or persons in loco parentis) have to be on deck in order to follow the model of courtship as defined by Joshua Harris?

2) Is it spiritually healthy, wise, God-glorifying, or even possible to pursue a close friendship with someone of the opposite gender without it turning into a nightmare of he/she-might-feel-romantic-and-he/she-DOES-feel-romantic-what-are-we-gonna-do-I-guess-we'd-better-court?

As Davy would say, it's better to thrash these things through in mente while your heart is quiescent. :-)

6:13 PM  
Blogger Lisa Adams said...

I'm sorry if my earlier comment sounded conceited... I have been struggling with my attitude today.

In response to the 2 questions... it's been awhile since I've read Boy Meets Girl, but I would say that except under highly unusual circumstances, like being stranded on a desert island, it's very important in a courtship (or any romantic relationship) to have both A) counselors (which should ideally be parents, or if parents are absent or unable, godly adults in the area, loco parentis (loco parentum?), + whatever help the parents are able to give, as well as B) community, to keep the two individuals in touch with reality and other friendships.

Regarding CLOSE friendships with the opposite gender... close seems to be rather subjective, and I don't know that one answer exists for the question. It would depend on the situation, the maturity level, the expectations. Somewhere between mere acquaintances and intimacy, a balance must be found. I think love -- agape love -- is the best guide. What will serve the other person? What is the best, wisest thing for him/her? What will help us both to focus on Christ? What will sharpen us to become the people He wants us to be?

9:30 PM  
Blogger Pinon Coffee said...

For the record, I haven't read Josh Harris in depth and I don't really know how courtship is supposed to work. And I'm with Thacia on wrangling over words--call it what you like. I'm trying to talk about the concept, as it's functionally defined. :-)

As for courting at college, I was grateful my parents already knew and approved of my courtive. I was grateful my courtive's parents already knew and (somewhat, at least) approved of me, and that his siblings all liked me. Such not being the case would have been miserable.

I think formal courting has one very important virtue: it DOES turn one's romantic thoughts toward marriage. It can't eliminate sin; no human institution could; but it makes one realize a bit more clearly how special marriage is, and quietly makes you either work towards it or else break up. Parents quite aside, IMHO our unhelpful American mating practices need friendly reminders of marriage at frequent intervals. :-)

I do not care for the barbed-wire-or-marriage view of relationships. It's not scriptural, and it's not practical, unless we kick women out of the public sector entirely and insist on a male relative accompanying them everywhere--which I don't think is likely to happen in the near future.

I have found that honorable guys make very good friends. It's been true as far back as I can remember. Yes, guy friends take a lot of effort; most friends do. They also take a different type of effort than girl friends, and extra awareness of being above reproach.

Trissie, I think your mom banged the nail on the head when she said there's a lot of phileo running around. :-) Hard to work with sometimes, yes it is. But--the church is the Church, and school is an excellent opportunity to practice phileo towards the bit of the Church we clean bathrooms and do Latin workbooks with. (If you can live with your freshman roommates, hopefully you'll be able to live with a spouse!)

But it is worth it to interact with half the human race? I think it is. :-) Brothers and sisters, brothers and sisters.

And yet it is right and proper to distinguish between guy-friend-whom-I-am-married-to and all-other-friends-of-both-persuasions. I don't think anyone disagrees with that. Putting it into practice is, of course, the difficulty. I am open for suggestions, O you my friends. In all righteousness.

12:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, wow...I'm not given to posting on blogs too much, but I really enjoyed what I read here (and couldn't resist weighing in with a little I learned from relating to two good friends I had the privilege of being courted by or however one wants to put that).

Parents. Present? Hm. Well, I've been told my relationship with my parents is...unusually close...and my mother is exceptionally perspicacious. She anticipated things with uncanny foresight in both relationships, even though she was 700+ miles away. But...it still wasn't like having her there at school, 'cause she was still having to hear things through me. And she wasn't getting to interact with my gentlemen-friends. :-) In any case, I wish there had been some sort of older, wiser counsel we could've turned to. Dr. Hake was wonderful, as were the people at CHBC, but...they just don't know us very well. And when someone doesn't know you, it can be tough for them to give advice. And when you're away from home at college, it's often tough to get to know mentorish people like you know your parents.

I thought it was particularly interesting that Mr. Harris didn't attend college. I'd often thought (and said to dear Christy, who put up with me a lot on this topic) that the principles he lays out are sometimes applied in really wonky ways. I'd even contemplated figuring out a different word to use besides courtship for any romantic relationships I had...I still haven't. :-)

Anyhow, that being said, this relates to a conversation I had with my sister the other night. She asked me what exactly the difference is between courtship and dating, and whether there really is a difference, etc. and whether there is a point to either in high school (she's a junior in high school now, at a Christian high school in town). After thinking for a minute, I told her something to the effect of the following, which has been tailored to its audience.

It seems to me that courtship is generally thought to involve families. Boyfriend and girlfriend hang out with each others' families, do things in groups, don't necessarily do everything one-on-one, etc. Dating is generally thought to mean you get to know a person by doing things with him or her, not necessarily in groups. Some people might say you don't necessarily stay "faithful" to one person (you might date several different people in a week), but that doesn't seem to be a normal situation in most cases. Anyway, family involvement seems to be the primary difference between the two as they have been traditionally understood and carried out.

For Christians, the focus of any relationship, romantic or otherwise, should be first, Christ, and second, the other person. That is, wanting the best for the other person--in short, what one wants in a friend and a courtive is that they love God more than you. And that is what you should be to them, also. If that is the case, I'm almost certain it doesn't matter what framework or title the relationship has.

Of course, if two Christians are "pursuing a romantic relationship," it will take on certain features because they are Christians--they'll probably want to get to know each other's parents and spend time with them because the family is important. They'll want to spend time with each other's friends because friendship is important. They'll want to participate in church activities because church is important.

In any case, at PHC, romantic relationships end up looking like dating with parental approval. It can be hard to do things with groups, because often you and your boyfriend/girlfriend do things on the spur of the moment and don't have time to get people together, or you'll want to talk about something, etc. It's really tough to have your parents actually involved, because often they're in different sections of the country and can't come visit. Or if they do visit, it's rarely at the same time.

Yes, Christy, this is hard. It's really tough. It is almost definitely more difficult than it would be at home. I was incredibly thankful for God, my parents' wisdom, and my cell phone--and the honor of the two gentlemen I have the privilege of still being friends with.

To your second question, about being close friends with guys. I know, Christy, you've said I'm an exception to every rule/law except gravity and human depravity (or something like that). But I'm convinced it's possible to be good friends with members of the opposite sex. As Pinon Coffee said, it takes a lot of effort. But so does every relationship that matters. What I've found to be key in a relationship with anyone else--specially guys--is honesty. Brutal honesty, honesty even when it hurts--because love tells the truth. Be yourself, and know who you are. It's ok for people to get to know you--just like PC said, brothers and sisters. And seek to do God's will, seek the best for the other person. That's the important thing in any relationship, especially romantic.

I'm feeling rather long-winded, and I hope I said something helpful. Thanks, Christy, for posting such thought-provoking things on your blog. I enjoy reading through it when I get a chance. And thanks, everybody else, for the thoughtful comments. It'll be fun when we're all together again and can talk in person. :-)

As I've taken to signing letters to my dear graduated former roommate...

Amor et bellum, ;-)
~Twynkletoes

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home