Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Hallelujah, I'm a Hampster!

I did the unthinkable. I had the elliptical trainer hauled up to my room, where it takes up far too much space and looks ugly.

It's worth it. My "suite" now contains a bathroom (which I share with the girls, but I'm the only one who has a door to it that leads to my bedroom), a bedroom full of bookshelves and dark wood and sealing wax and paper--also a bed, incidentally--and my very own exercise machine. After all, I'm the only one who likes to use it.

I used to scorn the idea of getting one's exercise from spinning like a hampster on a wheel, but that was before I got a look at my options. I'm a girl in Maryland suburbia; I can't exactly (safely) go for a run whenever I want, especially at the times that I have available, which are early morning and early evening. Nope. A cell phone just isn't enough protection, and I've never been good at archery while in motion, and I'd probably get in trouble for carrying a dagger.

Oh, for the idyllic days of my youth, when I would go out and ride a horse for an hour every day, or muck stalls for five hours at a stretch. Now that was exercise! This hampster stuff is deplorable. I want to go back to the Middle Ages.

Still, it does the job, and the purpose of this post is to thank God for it. Hallelujah, I can feel my blood again! For those of you who don't know, I go crazy without exercise. Up the wall and down the other side. It gets to the point where I have to take it out on the nearest air hockey table. Mom has mandated that I play Ultimate Frisbee next semester. "You've got to have exercise, Honey."

"Brittainy," I said, pleadingly, "will you play pick-up soccer with me in the fall?"

Ultimate Frisbee and pick-up soccer were things that I played frequently in high school and in my Freshman/Sophie years, but they fell somewhere by the way during Junior year. Hopefully, I will take them up again this autumn.

So, yes, I'm a Hampster. But I think I'm the happy kind. Check this out if you want to see what "the happy kind" looks like. And this fall, I hope, I will cease to be a Hampster--which always seems somehow like being a cavedweller--and romp once more in the sunlight, from the face of which I am currently hid by office walls and officium.

And in the meantime, boy, am I grateful for my wheel!

3 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Adams said...

Greetings from a fellow hampster... going nowhere fast in the fitness room :). Doesn't it feel GREAT to exercise? Physical exertion motivates me toward mental exertion...

and you SO SHOULD play ultimate this school year. I didn't know you ever did... well, I just started this last year... but definitely do, no excuse not to, and it's better exercise than air hockey!

3:13 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

Yes Christy; I remember you playing Ultimate a few times. hehehehehe! You were blocking me while facing me, so that your back was to the person with the frisbee. hehehehehe! But yes, you should play. :D Oh, and while I'm still making fun of you :P (I truly am a dreadful friend), you almost convinced me with this blog post that "hamster" is spelled with a "P." Almost, but not quite. ;)

But it is so odd that we seem to end up on the same wavelength so often. I just started a new, dedicated exercise regimen this week myself. :) My sister and I have sort of a pact going, because she has a lot of weight to lose.

So keep it up! It will be exciting to see our new, svelt, senior selves once Fall rolls around. :)

=Sarah=

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dear Sarah, I think hampster SHOULD be spelled with a p. Bother the dictionary.

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home