Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Going Celtic

It just occurred to me a little while ago, while I was researching the Celts in order to write a quiz for Grammar students...

I'm celtic.

In fact, I'm quite celtic, and increasingly so as I get older. Now, I do not mean that I listen to every bit of half-baked celtic music put out by New Age artists, nor that I read Gothic novels. A thousand times no! But my family, on both sides, is English/Scottish/Viking. I love Latin, which has been an adopted English tongue since Romans conquered the Isles in the mid-50's AD. And the only music I've ever heard that made me feel as though I had to dance was played by Scottish drummers at a festival. The drums of the highlands, and the pipes of the highlands--the shepherd-pipes, I mean, not the bagpipes--do something to my blood.

Further, I love their illuminated manuscripts, their fierceness, their colors--though not their checked patterns--and their oral poetry. I love their love of water, their seagoing ways, their torques and harps and groves of deep forest.

Of course, they had issues. Few religions, I think, are darker or more sorcerous than that of the Celts. But their embrace of Christianity was so wholeheartedly, and so firmly stuck to...

Oh, hang it all. I like them! And, like them or not, I am one, right down to my toes.

1 Comments:

Blogger sarah said...

Yes. You are celtic. This is what I mean when I say that you and a large number of the people at PHC are living in medieval times. :) It is an odd phenomenon.

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home