Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Today Was Just So Quotable, Take II

“It couldn’t have happened to a nicer computer.” – Mom, concerning technological crashes on Danya’s computer.

“Dave, your computer is the expendable crewman. It’s the nice guy who doesn’t really have a name and everybody knows he’s going to die by the end. Every movie has one!” – Kelly

“I’ve been through the history of the ancient world three times so far this summer, on three different levels, and let me tell you: what I don’t know about cartouches isn’t worth knowing!” – Christy, joking with Mom.

“Mummies are gross.” – Christy, working on Egyptian quizzes for the Dialectic level.
“They sure are.” – Mom
::pause::
“I’m glad you can admit it.” – Christy

“It’s been voted off the development team.” – Mom to Davy, about his computer.
“You can’t fire it! It quits!” – Davy

“Is Davy still wringing his hands over there?” – Christy
“Woe is me!” – Davy

“There’s a hole at the bottom of the sea!” – Davy, beginning to sing.
“David!” – Kelly, from the little office, where she is trying to concentrate on processing orders.
“I was just mentioning the fact.” – Davy
::pause::
“There’s a hole. There’s a hole. There’s a hole at the…” – Davy
“There sure will be!” – Kelly
“Children….” – Mom, in a now-now-let’s-all-be-reasonable-can’t-we tone of voice.

When Dad comes to the office…
“I was hurt last night by reggae music, and I’m not sure I’m ready to forgive it.” – Dad
“How did it hurt you?” – Davy
“Well, I was playing Apples to Apples, and the word was ‘refreshing,’ and I thought that ‘body surfing’ was refreshing, but ‘reggae music’ beat me out, and I just haven’t been able to forgive it yet.” – Dad

“Nate, Nate, Nate, what are you doing?” – Nate to himself, trying to stay focused.
::pause::
“Well, if I unplugged the microwave….” – Nate

“You are not the priority person, and you are not the priority person. Neither of you cares about priorities! I alone am the priority person!” – Mom to Davy and Christy, in her best commanding baby-talk.

“You see, sometimes ghosts of unplugged computers actually linger for some time afterwards…” – Davy

“I can’t spell ‘silhouette.’ I’m a failure.” – Christy
“Christy, some people are born failures, some people achieve failure, and some have failure thrust upon them. Which would you say you are?” – Davy

“Christy, I think your mom is being scandalous over there.” – Laura
“So? What else is new?” – Christy
“Good point.” – Laura

It must be four o’clock…
“Did I ever say that I don’t [commit crimes of syntactical repetition]? I’ve looked back over some of the papers I’ve written and wanted to kill myself… and then bury myself and then dig myself up again and make myself eat myself and then poison myself and then burn myself to ashes and throw them in the Nile!” – Christy
“And kill yourself and bury yourself and then dig yourself up and clone yourself and kill all your clones!” – Davy, getting into the spirit of the thing with a convenient misquote.
“Right. That.” – Christy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home