Saturday, August 20, 2005

Hangin' On

Today is Tope's wedding day. In two hours I will be at the church, donning dress and shoes and hair curlers for The Event.

Yesterday at the rehearsal, my determination was fixed on not fainting. I had been having feverish nightmares the night before, and woke with a headache, sore throat, and stuffed nose. In addition, the bridal party wasn't able to eat all day because we were too busy preparing. After rehearsal I had to skip the rehearsal dinner and come home to rest. I ate soup, slept, and slept. I said to Mom, "I guess this is God telling me not to depend on my own strength." She prayed for me, and the day was got through somehow, though dragging at every step, and occasionally wanting to crumble.

Today I feel much better, though still keenly aware of my dependence on God. I will be on my feet from 10 AM until 7:30 PM. The goal of the day is simple: bless Tope. The work which I have to do is, thankfully, little: smile, walk when and where I'm supposed to, stand where and when I'm supposed to, and say appropriate things when called upon to do so.

My groomsman is civil, even kind, and knows how to manage a recessional. He is, moreover, tall. I think I shall have no trouble with him. The stage looks lovely--Tope has chosen white and blue as her wedding colors, and we made up her bouquet with delphinium and white roses. We girls have calla lilies and baby's breath. I spent a pleasant hour yesterday morning, helping to make up these bouquets and getting to know the other bridesmaids. We are quite a set!

Allison, the matron of honor, is only about a month married herself. She is small and slim, with brown hair and dark eyes. Her major in college was medieval studies. She is also administratively gifted, and seems completely unruffleable. I am so glad that Tope has her for a helper! Next in order is myself, and then Dhanya, a real-for-true Indian whom I met yesterday for the first time, complete with sari, dark complexion, and waist-length braid. Dhanya has perfect teeth, beautiful eyes, and an energetic personality. She kept me laughing throughout the rehearsal. Her field of study and practice (she is in graduate school) is biochemical engineering.

After Dhanya we have Mimi, an Asian (we are quite a diverse group) with long black hair and a streak of it dyed red. Mimi made our dresses. She is, moreover, a geologist. Last but not least, Tope's Nigerian cousin, Ibuken, whom we call Ibi. Ibi is either finishing or has finished college, and I forget her major. She looks much like Tope, and has spunk enough for any three people. Her conversation is as quotely as my own family's, and Ibi is liable to burst into snatches of song from old musicals. Her voice is quite good.

That is us, or rather, that is we. The bride herself has been a model of relaxed and gentle purposefulness throughout. She makes us feel as though this is all a walk in the park, while handling a million details of her own. I wish her great joy, and am so glad to have a front-row seat (or rather, an onstage standing spot) for the exchange of vows.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Adams said...

Oh, thank you for sharing. Brings back memories of being a maid of honor at my best friend's wedding... almost flushing the groom's ring down the toilet... spilling punch down my dress right before pictures... laughing at the very excitable best man (and trying to survive his aggressive driving on the way to the reception while my friend and her husband kissed obliviously in the back seat)...

Oh, fun, fun. Can't wait to see you back!

9:47 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

Oh Christy, I waved hi to you in the stairwell, but I wish we could have talked. I'm sure we will.

I hope you feel better today... It wouldn't be much fun to be sick when serving in a wedding party. :P

11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home