Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Awestruck

I was thinking a little while ago.... could I compose a list of things that make me forget to breathe?

Here's a first stab.

1. The feeling I get right before the horse under me takes off over a three-foot jump.
2. .....and the feeling I get when I can feel myself slipping from the saddle.
3. The sea.
4. Going barefoot on new grass, for the first time in many months.
5. Those hours of a summer night spent sitting on the front porch staring at the stars, because I woke up and couldn't go back to sleep.
6. Hearing a stick crack when I'm in the woods alone.
7. Luna moths.
8. Heartsickness, the kind that hurts so much I can't think past my wish for oblivion.
9. Words fitly spoken or written---like apples of gold in settings of silver.
10. Scriptures, too many to name, each more precious to me than my life because I know what it is to be without them, or without the power of understanding them.
11. Jessica's Theme from the Man from Snowy River soundtrack.
12. Eyes full of love.
13. Hebrew hymns.
14. Moments, snapshots, postures or gestures or looks, that condense within themselves so much of pain, or longing, or tenderness, or joy, that I could stand staring at them forever.... and yet can hardly bear to look.
15. Lamplight on mahogany.
16. Fireflies in the shade of an oak tree, in June.
17. Light.

2 Comments:

Blogger sarah said...

I was thinking, that's a great list! Until I got to "light." Then I had to comment. If you stop breathing every time you see light, you would have asphyxiated long ago, because any time you see anything you are seeing light. :D :D

10:17 AM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

That is a beautiful list. Especially "words fitly spoken." You have helped me to appreciate them so much more. Thank you.
If I could add to the list
- diving into cold water and the felling of freedom and life that comes with is...sometimes
-tastes (like fresh raspberries) that bring back memories of childhood and year after year of wonderful life
- looking at friends, and knowing with absolute certainty that they love you and that you love them, more than you can imagine, and that that love and friendship is a gift from God

11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home