Sunday, April 09, 2006

"Oh, yes, I always like news"

For the Emmas in my life....

Jane Austen continues to invade my mental space at every opportunity. Just now she is rather pungent and paint-smelly, since the set has gone up and is being given its coat of many colors. We spent all day Saturday in makeup, curlers, and costumes. Lizzy asked me this afternoon "how I thought the run went on Saturday".... and I smiled weakly. We have a LOT of work to do. "But you," I assured her, with perfect sincerity, "were uniformally charming."

Living with Elizabeth Bennet for a week has been rather like living with my roommate and one of my best friends, Brittainy. Since they are (for the nonce) the same person, this is not surprising. We have agreed that I am her French maid, Gennette, Mistress of the Curlers. I am sometimes also her Russian maid, because for some reason Brittainy finds my Russian accent hilarious. I do my best to keep her laughing as the pressure mounts towards performance.

I have not been sleeping well for the past four or five days. This is normal, since Mom and Dad are out of the country. My sleep is always disturbed when they leave on a long trip, and I'm grateful not to have had any of my worse sort of nightmares this time around. They return home on Wednesday, and cannot come soon eough for me. If you were looking for a word of wisdom in this post, here it is: loving hurts, and it's worth every throb.

Of course, the storm of controversy which has blown through our campus in the past two weeks makes me long for them even more. Concerning that it is not prudent to say much here, except that I'm so grateful for the pastors at Grace, and for those who have counselled both myself and others wisely throughout a painfully grievous situation. I will also take the opportunity to thank God for our new president-elect, Dr. Graham Walker. I believe him to be humble, and know him to be God's provision for us.

So, in sum, I shall be very, very glad to get home. I have missed my family, my coworkers, my friends, my peaceful bedroom and busy office, all much more than I had supposed I would--and, though this time has been fruitful both relationally and spiritually, I will not be sorry to return to the people who love me best.

Love to all,
Me

1 Comments:

Blogger sarah said...

I am sorry to hear you're not sleeping well... but I am indeed delighted to read news. I think you're growing up, my Christy! I just get these subtle flickers around the edges... You know what? So am I. :)

3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home