Monday, May 22, 2006

De Carolyne


I stole the picture from Thacia's blog, but I'm not really sorry... just grateful to have it. :-)

On Saturday, Carolyn graduated. The Domina is now a B.A. At our first Liberty Ball she wore a golden princess dress, and in this picture she is wearing white. In between, I've seen her in everything from pyjamas to suit jackets. None of these, however, are THE PICTURE of her, to me.

The picture of Carolyn which I carry most often in my mind was never captured by a camera. It could not be; it is too fluid. There are four parts.
One: Carolyn in her long Hobbit skirt and a wide-sleeved blouse, pensive, quiet, with her arms wrapped around her knees, speaking softly of God.
Two: Carolyn bouncing with excitement, swinging her whole body around so that the sheet of her long blond hair will fall back. She is gesturing at all of us to move closer together, and in her hand I see a camera.
Three: Carolyn in tears, shoulders shaking, weighed down by fear or discouragement. She has had many trials in these last four years, and much to be sad about. But I have seen her grow so strong through them; I recognize depths of character, courage, faith, and understanding--pockets of wisdom and towers of strength which were not there before.
Four: Carolyn looking up into my tearful face, with an expression in her wide green eyes that says she feels all my pain, and wants to comfort me. Carolyn's arms around me, Carolyn praying for me, Carolyn reminding me of the truth I need desperately to hear: "God loves you, Trissie. God loves you."

Oh, Carolyn, God loves me indeed, for I could never have merited your friendship. I won't say it all here; you know. You know what you have endured from me, and how you have stood by me. You know what sweet grace you have been in my life. You know--and if you don't, I will tell you--how badly your voice and graceful light touch, your sensitivity and sweetness, your smile and the wicked mischief in your eyes, will be missed.

Domina, mea domina, gemuimus et exsultavimus. Tuas lacrimas vidi; meas lacrimas scis. Semper gaude, Domina. Semper ama. Et semper ad caelum spera. Te amo. - Puella

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had no idea how to say it...thank-you for saying it so beautifully. Amen to it all. Love you Carolyn!

~Lady Ancilla

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home