Monday, May 15, 2006

Learning My Middle Name

For many years now, I have objected to my first and second names. Why? Because I felt them to be A) generic and B) untenable. "Christina" is so very much what any Christian parents would choose for their girl-child, and "Joy" is something I've never felt that I had in great quantity or quality.

"Names are like prophecies, honey. You will grow into it." Mama said.
"But that's not me!" I expostulated. "I'm not a 'little Christ' and I'm not joyful. You might as well have named me 'Churchill Melancholy!'"
Or words to that effect. I don't think I ever claimed that Churchill Melancholy would be as good a name for me as Christina Joy--however, it conveys my sentiments.

I ought to know by now that my mother's words are almost always born out by events. As I was reading Piper's When I Don't Desire God in my QT this morning, I ran across the following: "Joy in God is a gift. . . . We are too hard and rebellious in ourselves even to see Jesus as attractive, let alone leave all and come to him as our all-satisfying Joy."

Piper goes on to explain one of the great mysteries of our faith in these terms: "We must obey the command to rejoice in the Lord, and we cannot, because of our willful and culpable corruption. Therefore obedience, when it happens, is a gift."

According to Piper, I had not even the capacity to delight in God until my conversion (which, for the child of a Christian home, was at the relatively late age of 15). But ever since then, I have been a recipient of the gift of joy in God. I am, truly, Joy. My mother trusted God that I would be someday when she named me, and so I have been, since the day I was reborn. Her faith is rewarded in the present appropriateness of the names which she chose. I am growing up in the image of Christ, though the adjective "little" is a good one. And I have, in growing measure, joy. I have the capacity for joy. I am able to delight in God.

So you see, my mother was right. I am Christina Joy.

2 Comments:

Blogger sarah said...

Christy, you have a good name. Your post made me look up my own middle name. Do you realize that all this time I had never learned what my middle name, "Elizabeth," means? It means "consecrated to God." And Sarah means "Princess."

I find that remarkably humbling, and so like me. Most of my life, I focused on the fact that I was a "princess." Royalty; an aristocrat. An individual. But I am so much more than that. I am a child of God.

Our parents were wise when they named us.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Lisa Adams said...

Names are beautiful things. My first name means the same thing as Elizabeth ... consecrated to God ... and then of course we share a middle name :). Which my dad frequently reminded me of, growing up ... he called me "Joyful Goose."

Happiness may be a personality trait ... and the up end of a mood swing ... but joy should be a Christian state of being. I suppose all the more if you're blue not in the way of being melancholy, but of being ethereal ;).

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home