Monday, May 08, 2006

Too Much Introspection!

I hate it when I get too introspective and dreamy. There's something selfish about it, and besides, my writing style is a horror to me when it's running on something dangerously like sentiment. I don't say I'm there yet--the last few pieces were actually some of my strongest recent work. However, the true passionate wave has broken, and I don't want to get lost in foamy bubbles. Ergo...

Potential Cures (Note: the "I will" should not be taken as an actual statement of intention, but merely as a potential statement of intention):

I will continue to read Mark Twain's short stories. They give a good dose of down-to-earth humor, laced with gentle sarcasm.
I will stop memorizing poetry (except Scripture, of course).
I will stop wearing scarves in my hair (for at least a week).
I will buy a very severe-looking set of hair clips and use them.
I will not even think about Pre-Raphaelite art, or anything that resembles it.
I will go work in the garden until I am very dirty and sweaty indeed, so as to reminds myself of physical realities.
I will not daydream about the sea, especially not the beach in Westport.
I will do prosaic things like planning menus and dusting my rooms.
I will paint my study.
I will learn the species type and sun requirements and any other dull-but-necessary information I can dig up, for at least twelve specimins of flora.
I will not go barefoot in places where poison ivy may be (I have been rather reckless lately with my preference for bare feet).
I will resist the urge to dance in the rain.
I will paint my nails, because there is something so realistic about the smell of nail gloss.
I will not bake bread or cut flowers or stencil on my walls.
I will practice seriously on my wood flute, and stop making up nonsense tunes.

There. That ought to do it.

;-)

3 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Adams said...

That, my dear, is a very weird to-do list :). I like about half of it ...

Introspective, no. Sentimental, no. But it's okay to be romantic and silly and impractical and delighted about life :).

So ... keep memorizing poetry and dancing in the rain. And definitely work in your garden and paint your nails ...

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think there's something very Christian about Romanticism. The Romantics took it too far, of course. But when properly informed by the Word, we can take delight in the awesomeness of this thing called Life that God has given us. That breathless, wordless awe is a proper response to our great Christ and the countless ways he reveals himself.

6:09 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

I have very much enjoyed your posts - and what is more, they have impressed me. :) :) As I'm sure you know (since I am rather arrogant at times), that is hard to do. But they have been beautiful and true.

If it is time for a change, that is good too.

I miss you, Christy!

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home