Thursday, June 22, 2006

Girlyrumple

It has been such a girly day!

First off, I had to wash my jeans. So I got Mom's permission to wear ratty old gym shorts to the office. Somehow, that set the carefree tone of the day. Yesterday Mom told us that she was taking all the girls and Nana for a manicure and pedicure, since the wedding is on Saturday.

"A what?" I said. "First a tan for the wedding, and now.... I feel like a pomeranian!"
Casey choked on her laughter. "That's a good way of expressing it!"

But I got to spend the morning at the office, and it was one of those days when Nate decided to order corporate pizza for lunch, and we all sat around gabbing and watching Pirates II previews on our lunch hour. At 12:50 I grabbed my purse and Davy drove me home.

My laundry was done, so I dressed and formed up in the slaughter line. Mom drove us to the salon, telling us we would like it. We tried to believe her.

I now have french-tipped fingernails and toenails. The experience rates somewhere between a trip to the dentist (no cavities) and a haircut. It was fun to do it together, but.... golly. I couldn't ride a horse in these. I couldn't even do garden work! Still, they look very pretty and I'm sure Jess will appreciate having her bridesmaids presentable. Especially since we will all be barefoot. She, by the way, looks gorgeous in the wedding dress. Her mother and I are the only people who have seen her in it so far. ::Smug::

By 2 PM the pomeranians were home and changing again, this time into sunbathing costumes. We girls faced our task with determination, ice water, books (office work for me), soothing music, lemon juice, and lots of suntan lotion. After dragging the trampoline into a strategically sunny spot, we lotioned up, spritzed hair with lemon juice to bring out the highlights, set the music playing from our deck, and got comfy. It was two hours of slow baking and sweat, but I can report that pale toast has been achieved, with no burns. Tomorrow we'll add another coat.

Charity and I then went back and changed again, for a night on the town. We hit the bank, the auto place, Panera Bread for dinner, the fabric store (she to buy batting for a quilt, I to buy muslin for a salwar), CompUSA (no luck on DVD player or ipod--I'll have to try it with Davy), and Bed Bath & Beyond for Jess's wedding present. Oh, and Starbucks. Of course. :-) Meanwhile, Mom and Dad took Marj to a movie.

Mike whiffled through while Charity and I were watching an old 50's movie about a girl who was simultaneously engaged to three people. Davy appeared, busy texting Casey on his cell phone. I had just begun to mosey upstairs when Mary got back from an evening out with her guy, meeting his parents (posh preppy DC area, no less. And the guy was in Hollywood for awhile, with looks to match. Now he's going to be a missionary. It's just possible he deserves Mary).

Needless to say, the romantic atmosphere is thicker than pea soup. I think these french nails are having a bad effect on me.... I feel absolutely flirtatious. But don't worry; I know what to do. A hard and fast 45 minutes on the elliptical clears the head wonderfully.

Oh my, what a comet mood!

One day to the wedding and counting....

3 Comments:

Blogger sarah said...

Wow. That's either a really good 24-hour mood switch or an excellent job of faking! ;) It sounds like you had a lovely day, though.

11:39 PM  
Blogger Praelucor said...

Not a mood switch, dear. Did I not say I was golden that night? :-) Whether or not one is happy, I often think, depends on the degree to which one realizes the Gospel.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Pinon Coffee said...

What a splendid post, puella, from the title on down. :-)

12:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home