Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Noses Will Be Worn Large This Season

I just got the email today. The EdenTroupe board has voted to do Cyrano this fall.

Oh. My.

It's overwhelming in a very good way. The work.... eh. That is just work. The organizing and late nights and exhaustion and stress---this is new? But what overwhelms me is the idea that I shall have the privilege of seeing those words, those characters, brought to life. Ever since I saw Cyrano performed, ever since I had the chance to do a bench reading of that play, I've loved it. Exquisite words, deeps and heights of heroism, self-sacrifice, devotion, love, and pride.... and the destruction that comes with pride.

I love this story passionately and with a certain grief, because the end is tragic. Cyrano had a vast soul, but it was undisciplined. He had an enormous capacity for love, but lived in fear of declaring himself. He had great talents, but little enough humility. And, in the end, he was a warning comet. Cyrano makes me want to live other than he did, but with the same zeal. I love his soul.

6 Comments:

Blogger sarah said...

And humor. Let's not forget the dark, dry humor all through - and the moments that are just plain over the top. The nose speech, anyone? The moonstruck speech?

This is going to be fun!!

11:09 AM  
Blogger Lisa Adams said...

I love the nose speech and the "no, thank you" speech. I am so excited about your directing, dear, and I am so glad that you have the summer to plan and pray. You are going to learn so much and be so terrific! I am looking forward to how I can serve you this fall :).

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay!

9:47 PM  
Blogger erendis nasard said...

congratulations! may all your planning, plotting, and/or scheming go well & happily. ;-)

i'll be praying for you (& everyone involved), and hope you'll post about it regularly once it gets underway.

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, that's it. I must read this play.

~Lady Ancilla

7:04 PM  
Blogger Pinon Coffee said...

WOOHOO!!!!

12:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home