Wednesday, August 16, 2006

One Last Set of Lampstand Quotes

This episode concludes Season 3 of The Office. We'll be back with Season 4 in January. :-)

“Hey Christy… what’s your plan?” – Marjorie
“My plan is to go to Heaven tired.” – Christy
“That’s…quite a plan.” – Marjorie
“It’s working so far!” – Christy, wryly

“We don’t have enough Italian love songs around here.” – Mom

“Mom is like the Office escapee who’s always trying to get out. If this were a M*A*S*H show, she would be Klinger” – David, gerbilling to the office in general

“This is the end! I don’t want to read about literary analysis, I don’t want to think about literary analysis, and I especially don’t want to write about literary analysis!” – Christy, being melodramatic
“Christy! Go analyze!” – Davy
“No! I’ll lock myself in the bathroom with a copy of Southern Living!” – Christy

The Mom and Davy Routine

“Aren’t you proud of me? How often can I edit myself?” – Mom to Davy

“No, we don’t want an arrow.” – Mom
“Mother, please. I wasn’t thinking anything about an arrow… I was thinking…” – Davy
“More like a curlicue…” – Mom
“…yeah, or a dotted line…” – Davy

“Mom, I love you. Are you an alien?” – Davy
"What's wrong with you?" - Mom to Davy
“You don’t even know. I don’t even know. Doctors have a theory, but it hasn’t been proven yet.” – Davy to Mom

“You are in a choppen-zee-doitch mood…” – Davy to Mom

“You and your things…” – Davy to Mom, with a certain fond tolerance
“You and your invisible charts! They’re driving me nuts!” – Mom to Davy
“Oh, but they keep things so organized…” – Davy

“Are you kidding me? Look! It is like ‘well’ and like ‘well’… what more can I tell you? It is broad and pleasant.” – Davy, making use of his atrocious Russian accent

“Well, but I want to add to it, so don’t get too happy…” – Mom
“You want to add? But you were doing so well!” – Davy, incredulously

2 Comments:

Blogger Janice Phillips said...

I was laughing just thinking of David and his Russian accent...lol.

2:30 PM  
Blogger Pinon Coffee said...

“This is the end! I don’t want to read about literary analysis, I don’t want to think about literary analysis, and I especially don’t want to write about literary analysis!” – Christy, being melodramatic
“Christy! Go analyze!” – Davy
“No! I’ll lock myself in the bathroom with a copy of Southern Living!” – Christy

Oh me, Trissie, you'll never guess what I got to do at work last Wednesday and Thursday. There is, as I had not been aware, a movement in current medicine known as "evidence-based." My dentist is a splendidly sensible proponent and teacher of said evidence-based dentistry. It involves looking at what is actually wrong with the person's teeth and then taking such steps as have worked for other people in such situations in the past. Extraordinary.

BUT at work, my dentist printed out a great long article bashing evidence-based medicine. The authors insisted on calling it fascist, if you will believe it, and quoted a number of philosophers including Hannah Arendt, Deleuze, and Guattari. Evidence-based medicine ignores "alternate ways of knowing" and oppresses language down into an Orwellian non-vocabulary. It appeals to authority and ruins thought, said the authors, quoting their favorite postmodern authorities and obviously not thinking.

It was the most irrational postmodern piece of nonsense I'd seen since high school debate. I had a glorious time researching their sources, destroying their self-referential incoherence, and generally ripping it to shreds. It felt like reading Derrida, only less obscure. :-D And it made me happy...

7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home