Saturday, December 09, 2006

Best Friends are the Best Fun

It's not tradition, and we don't try to make it happen. It just does. That's what I love about my friendship with Brittainy. We serve other people together (plus some schoolwork crammed in around the edges, of course) until we're ready to drop, and then we drop--and oh, my! Yesterday was a day like that. At 11:30 PM we dragged back to the dorm from a full day which included the never-to-be-forgotten-though-we-wish-we-could Drama Final, plus a full afternoon of writing/studying (me) and meetings/serving (her), plus an evening of writing and studying (both of us).

"Let's do something."
"I thought we scrapped the movie idea."
"Well, we could watch part of a movie."

We stood in front of the movie collection.

"Court Jester?"
"Mmm... how about Persuasion?"
"That's a quiet movie. Are we in the mood for a quiet movie?"
"I haven't seen it in a few years."
"Okay, but if we start Jane Austen, I just want to warn you that I'm going to finish it. You can't just 'start' a Jane Austen movie."
"Well, we could..."
"Remember the last time we said we'd 'just start' North and South?"

*Note to the reader: on that memorable North and South occasion, we were up until 3 AM*

There was a pause while we contemplated one another with thoughtful expressions on our faces.

"Well," she said, "if you fall asleep, then we can turn it off."
"I won't fall asleep," I rejoined with mock indignation. "But if you want to go to bed at any point, that's okay. I'll just have to finish it if I start it, that's all."
"Okay."

I fell asleep. Brittainy turned off the movie, forbore to point out that she had been right (generous roommate!), and got me pointed right side up in bed.

"Goodnight, dear."
"Goodnight."

This morning...

"Well, let's finish it tonight?"
"Sounds good to me!"
"I meant to stay awake."
"I would have stuck it out if you had."
"Aha! You would have, would you?"

We grinned at each other.

Somewhere in the course of lunch we decided to stage an air hockey tournament this afternoon. Apparently we've both got too much energy. Our competitive streaks are coming out. But it'll be a fair fight because Brittainy is at least as good with hand-eye coordination as I am, and though she hasn't played as much air hockey in the past, I haven't really played for a year.

Best friends really are the best fun. And "thank you" doesn't seem enough to say to God. What I really need is a couple square miles worth of concentrated sunlight---that would be something like an expression of my gratitude for this dear and completely undeserved gift.

God is good to me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home