Friday, December 08, 2006

Taking Stock

Well, it's been a semester. I've laid aside some old things and acquired many new ones. I've changed in ways both major and minor. Let me give you a quick set of data points...

Old Things Now Gone

1. Fear of adventures (and boy, is it fun to embrace them!)
2. Fear of growing up (it's too late now to be afraid)
3. Class ranking (I am now " classless" at PHC)
4. Upperclassman arrogance (for the most part this is no longer such a sin issue. Thank God!)
5. Discontentment (not perfectly, but genuinely)

New Things Now Here

1. New friends and acquaintances: Natalie, Kaylyn, Rachel, John, Colten, Lindsay, Sarah, Ed, Curby, Noah, Katherine, Christy, Cate.
2. New music: Michael Buble, Jack Johnson, Regina Spektor, and jazz/big band in general. My Cyrano cast has had quite an impact on my musical tastes.
3. New enthusiasm and a new sense of freedom to serve. Somewhere during the last seven or eight months, I became an adult and embraced my father's motto: "Live to serve." Blessing other people, especially in artistic ways, has become my favorite thing in the world to do.
4. Love for God's people. All kinds of that kind of love, for a startling variety of situations and personalities. I have grown wiser and less selfish in the way I love. Thank God!
5. I've learned to like change. This is because I see now what I did not before---that change is the fundamental state of the Christian soul on this earth. When I became a Christian, I was set on a trajectory of "constant change is here to stay." I am in a continual state of change as I grow more into the likeness of Christ, and it's just no good fighting a basic principle like that.

The fallout of this last season will require many months to process, and you'll see that process at work on my blog over the course of the next season (daily blogging is back until at least the fall of '07, when school/work may preclude it again). For now, I'm just stepping back to take stock.

We'll continue that thought later. ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home