Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Workin' At It

Letters and emails are beginning to reach me from far-flung friends. I received one, seven pages of handwritten news and smiles, that made me laugh for sheer happiness. There is no loveliness like the loveliness of a letter made by hand. But electronic or otherwise, they all say the same sweet things: "Merry Christmas! We love you! We're praying for you!" These give me a joy both fierce and melting, gentle and strong. In ordinary human terms, is not the gift of loving thought and remembrance and longing great (perhaps greatest) among those we have to give?

The Christ was first in this. He remembered me with love when I had done no act of devotion or service for him. Mirabile visu, what gift is this? Mirabile ausu, whose voice is this? And yet I struggle to focus my thoughts on these things. Sin is strong; strong too is the enemy of my soul. My soul, magnify the Lord. Respond as He deserves, O my wandering heart, and return to God. Christ, draw me. Christ, human since then, please speak to my human-ness and transform it. Let me move in this reality according to the truths of that reality---let me live by metaphysics, not by physics.

I'm workin' at it. Please pray that the Holy Spirit works in me. I need to be wrought upon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home