Thursday, January 04, 2007

Gingerbread Cathedral

The subject of gingerbread houses came up at work, caught my mind in a little eddy of memories, and sent me spinning. Like so many other American girls, I had an American Girls doll (Samantha) when I was nine. One of the particulars that goes with Samantha (whose life is set in the Victorian era) is the making of gingerbread houses.

For two or three years I looked forward at Christmastide to the pans of warm brown-spicy gingerbread, the messy toil of icing, and the anxious delight of decorating. Do I want a gumdrop walkway this year, or would candy canes really be better? Which kind of roof shall I have: multicolored M&M's, or just yellow?

I made humble cottages, but always aspired to the grander architectures. I wanted to build cathedrals like these:



The marvelous thing is.... I still can. The years ahead are yet untouched. :-)

1 Comments:

Blogger sarah said...

I am also accustomed to making a gingerbread house every year. My favorite part is designed the patterns and building the original cardboard prototype to make sure it all "fits." :D I still remember the horrors of making the pieces stick together when I was 10, before I found the knack. :D

Memories, memories...

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home