Monday, May 28, 2007

Waking Up to Summer

I forget when I went to bed. I think it was near 1 AM. We had a beautiful drive back from NC, detouring through the Blue Ridge Parkway (four hours of winding among Virginia mountains) and winding up back in Maryland just in time to (of course) see Pirates 3. I'm convinced that my family exceeds the legal limits of fun, but in such a good way! We got out of that at 10 PM, but then there was unpacking, working out, etc.

Because no one was home, the A/C hadn't been turned on, and the house was uncomfortably warm. Solution: sleep with your windows open.

Unexpected Result: waking up to summer. I don't mean the "Oh look, isn't it nice out?" kind of experience. I mean the moment when you wake up early because you've been breathing summer all night, and therefore your body just naturally comes alive with the sun. No alarm clocks necessary.

It is a feeling of gentle, but exhilerating, radiance. It is an exquisite awareness of warm, fresh, cool, fragrant, vivid, and damp.

It's summer.

1 Comments:

Blogger sarah said...

'Tis summer indeed! Summer over here means lots and lots of pool time - chlorine, tans, water, friends. It means that good feel of pulling myself through the water hand-over-hand. Exercise; days that slip by oh-so-quickly.

Summer is my favorite season.

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home