Friday, June 15, 2007

I Have a Niece

Mike and Jess stopped by the Office today to give us the news from their sonogram. There was wild excitement in the air while we waited; we even took a "baby poll" (seven thought it would be a girl and three voted for a boy) on the company whiteboard.

I have a neice. There are sonogram pictures to prove it. And there was jubilation. The board now reads, in addition to the baby poll, the legend "Thor loves Peekah Niece." Thor (Nathan's nickname) has already given his niece a nickname (Peekah). While I'm not so awfully sure about arbitrarily nicknaming one's nieces and nephews either "peekah" or "boo" (depending on gender), I cannot help but be tenderly amused by my brother's enthusiasm.

Indeed, this child is coming into such a company of adoring young aunts and uncles, such a band of not-so-long-ago-children who now want to make her their sovereign queen, that I would fear greatly her spoilment, if it were not that I know well her parents' tempers, and know too that they know the awesomeness of their responsibility.

Who would have thought that my high school friend would become the mother of my niece? Who could have supposed that the boy and girl I knew as children would now be bringing a child into the world? It passes me; I wonder at it in a happy maze of anticipation.

Never was a child so much wanted, or so greatly loved. Dear baby, our own flesh and blood, we can hardly wait to welcome you---and for your sake wish this world a brighter, kindlier one---and for your sake are doubly glad that it has a Savior.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! That's way cool.

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home