Thursday, June 21, 2007

Office Humor Reaches a New High -- Millions Astonished!

Wow. Let's start off with a few of the usual type of quotes....

“What you need to do is a critical examination of a camera obscura. Then we’ll all feel better.” – Casey to Mom

“Oh my, what a chart! I need to write a Dr. Seuss book about this chart.” – Casey

Now the above is fairly typical. Yesterday, however, I had the pleasure of watching Casey and David get into a tickling match over a pair of quasi-toothpicks which Casey wanted to use as fangs, and David wanted to use to decorate her hair. At the end of this squabble, which was unusual only in that they weren't so much flirting as just straight-up playing (they usually flirt), I said to David,

"I just figured it out. You got married so that you'd always have somebody to play with."
"Mhm, pretty much," he replied, grinning.

Mom's comment, later: "Well yeah, of course. You have to marry your best friend. That's really the only way to do it."

So that was awfully fun. But this morning took the cake. I was sitting at my computer, calmly typing information about the Hundred Years War, when suddenly something wet squished against my upper right arm. It was Casey, with (I kid you not) one of those temporary tattoos.

A Superman logo tattoo.

“What are you DOING!?!?!” – Christy to Casey
“I’m putting a Superman tattoo on your arm! Hold still!” – Casey,
“What! Why? Why not do it to David? He’s your hubsand!”

(Parenthetical note: we generally call David her “hubsand” rather than “husband.” It’s kind of a nickname thing.)


“Because David already knows that he’s Superman! Oh, sorry, it’s dripping.” – Casey
“Yes, it is! Casey, where did you get this thing? Why don’t you put in on Laura?” – Christy
“Because Laura saw me pick it up off the ground outside. Awww…I think it’s dried out too much! It’s not working. Now you look like you have a tick attack.” – Casey
“Brittainy! Help!” – Christy

::Brittainy is laughing too hard to help::

Now, I ask you, what could possibly, in this life or any life on earth, be more fun than working a place where you sister-in-law randomly tries to tattoo you with a Superman logo?

Sometimes the crazy long hours spill over, and this is the hilarious result. People ask me pretty frequently whether I wouldn't rather be working at "a real job." I'm not sure what they mean by that, but I know that there is only one natural and accurate reply:

"What better, more demanding, and more satisfying job (outside of parenthood and missionary work) could anybody possibly have?"

I raise my glass and toast the Office, source of so many blessings.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

::can't breathe!!:: laughing too hard...

That is *good news*!

12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like life in the office is hilarious as usual. :o) Thought of you when I saw Merchant of Venice at Shakespeare's Globe Theatre in London...

Twynkletoes

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home