Thursday, June 21, 2007

Quotes In Retrospect

I was skimming Facebook profiles of friends this evening. Imagine my shock and (mild) embarassment when I discovered that one of my own more regrettable Sophomore dictums had been preserved for posterity. Sarah's "favorite quotes"---Sarah, this is really a favorite quote? Or are you just trying to help me grow in humility?---include, by yours truly, "Just find a girl you like and like her!"

Courtship advice from me at the advanced, mature, brilliantly perceptive age of 19. As I recall, I was also frustrated with the awkwardnesses of courtship when I said it.

If I were to give the same advice now (which I'm not sure I would), I'd at least modify it to "Just find a girl you like and like her, and then get better at it."

Anyway, that quote got me thinking. Back in the day I used to be a quote collector, and I figured I must have about 100 pages of quotes from all over campus squirreled away somewhere in my files.

Sure enough....

I present a selection of tidbits from my Freshman and Sophomore years. I'd like to note that the people who said these things generally did so under highly extenuating circumstances.

That being said, enjoy the retrospective view of your former foolishness, and let it teach you humility. Believe me, I'm right there with you.

But you don’t give your teachers looks. It’s not the done thing.
Carolyn Thomson

You have heard it said, great minds think alike, but I say unto you, so do the gullible masses.
Abigail Hackman

If you can’t beat ’em, outweird ’em!
Matt Thornton

If you’re going to make truth, make it with a lot of chocolate chips.
Paul McNiel

The study of logic and philosophy is anathema to sanity and sleep.
Thomas Wiley

The moral of the story is that you should have frequent fires to clean out the sprinkler system.
Ben Adams

You do NOT have to be courting to be human.
Jonathan Kanary

Discovering Greek is like opening presents. You never know what it’ll be. Could be a toaster…could be a hand grenade.
Doug (Price?)

A beard is not shelter.
Nathan Poe

If life gives you lemons, throw them at someone.
Julia Whitehair

We are all geeks by association.
Gabe Ballard

If you’re carrying six bags of trash to the dumpster there’s never a guy around, but if you only have one bag, they pounce on you.
Murphy’s Law, Megan Kirkpatrick Edition

Breakfast is the beginning of knowledge.
Deborah Knickelbein

Particularly stressful occasions call for high heels.
Deborah Knickelbein, on the first morning of finals

Transcending is like the Hokey-Pokey.
Matt Thornton

You never can tell with balloons.
Helen Wiley

It all comes back to Princess Bride.
Tracy Hacke

2 Comments:

Blogger sarah said...

You're marvelous, Christy! And yes, that is one of my favorite quotes still. :D Thank you for the humor here.

I need to give you a call sometime very soon.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Well, I'm by no means impressed by my contribution, but it's not horrifying either, so I guess on the whole I came out well. :-)

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home