Wednesday, June 06, 2007

You've Heard of "Simon Says"....

For the last five months or so, I've been playing a continual game of "Lewis says." C.S. Lewis's Discarded Image has been a key book for the 10-week Medieval Unit that dominated my spring (and is now finished), but the DI is only one of many.

I feel marinated, absolutely soaked in Lewis. I was counting up this morning, while brushing my teeth, all the Lewis books that I've read. I was surprised to find how many they are, though I have by no means investigated everything Lewis ever wrote. Still, besides the Space Trilogy and the Chronicles and the Discarded Image, I have read The Great Divorce, and The Screwtape Letters in their totality. My readings in Lewis have also included large chunks of the following: The Four Loves, Studies in Medieval and Renaissance Literature, Studies in Words, An Experiment in Criticism, Mere Christianity, and Reflections on the Psalms.

That, I realized, is a lot of Lewis! No wonder I find myself responding to so many questions with "Well, Lewis would say," or "Lewis thinks that..." It occurs to me that I shall have to be careful not to make of Lewis a supreme auctor, one of those fellows on a level with Plato and Aristotle. He isn't a Plato or an Aristotle, much less a writer of Scripture, and I must needs remember the fact.

In my next, I shall mention a recent instance in which I actually disagreed with Lewis, as though to prove (silly impulse) that I am not his tabula rasa.

1 Comments:

Blogger sarah said...

I have long considered Lewis one of my major inspirations to be a writer. :D So you are not alone. He has made such a good influence on the world, although he is, of course, not perfect.

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home