Wednesday, July 25, 2007

High Presure End-of-Unit Workdays Are Especially Quotable

“Christy, you’ve got to understand that I’ve been reading the Summa all afternoon, looking for references to infused righteousness.” – Laura
“She’s been wandering vaguely, quite of her own accord, looking for infused righteousness.” – Mom
“Maybe there’s some over on Nate’s side…” – Laura, heading out the door

Christy, talking to herself, said “Why am I listening to sad music?” David obligingly burst into song, and this is what he sang:

Oh, Christy…
Life is horrible
Sometimes puppies die
In the rain

The office laughed.

“Davy-lad!” – Nathan, striding purposefully into our midst.
“I didn’t do it!” – David
“End my suffering” – Nathan, holding out a blue CD that David apparently was supposed to fix at some point.
“Oh. I should’ve done it.” – David

“You mean it wasn’t Cortez who ‘stood silent upon a peak in Darien’?!?! But I memorized that poem for a recitation! Oh Keats, Keats, how could you!” – Christy
“Nevertheless, it was Balboa.” – Laura

“Ah, the great smiley-face wars…” – Mom, reminiscing with Laura
“I have allies.” ::pause:: “Except all of them are fired” – Laura, regretfully

“So Laura is going to marry Cortez, and Christy is going to marry Mr. Chuckleford…” – Casey
“Hey! I didn’t say I wanted to marry him!” – Laura
“Just because I named my desk fountain ‘Mr. Chuckleford’ does not mean that you can go around planning matrimonial alliances!” – Christy

“I’m trying to decide which of our loathings need to be pampered.” – Mom to Laura

“Let me stand here and stroke your shoulder in an affirming manner.” – David to Christy
::Brittainy bursts out laughing::

“I’m just feeling elated at having finished Week 19. Everybody has their day; everybody has their ‘I finished 19’! This is mine.” – Casey, who is admittedly bouncing off the walls.

“Christy, I have questions traipsing down the lane towards you…” – Alex, who is Casey’s younger brother and Christy’s minion and favorite brother-in-law
“Are they nasty fish-eyed questions?” – Laura, referring to an earlier Office conversation.
“No, nasty fish-eyed questions don’t traipse. They stalk.” – Christy

“I didn’t come up with the topless bananas!” – Casey
“No, Mom did.” – Christy

“Have yourself a merry little supplement.” – Mom
“Yes, well…” – Laura
“Well? Isn’t it a merry little supplement?” – Mom
“Well, besides the fact that it’s the Council of Trent…” – Laura

“So Laura has a crush on Cortez?” – Alex, confused.
“Not a crush! We’re going out.” – Laura
“Oh.” – Alex, nonplussed

“You’re going to give Nathan kisses?” – Christy to Laura
“There are all kinds of kisses, Christy. There’s chocolate and thimbles and…” – Mom
“I think you should give Nathan thimbles, Laura.” – Brittainy
Later …..
“Casey should save all her thimbles for David.” – Christy
“Well, that’s right. She’s a married lady.” – Mom
“So Laura, not being a married lady, should scatter her thimbles abroad?” – Christy
“I meant ‘thimbles’ quite literally! The hard and round kind!” – Laura

“So Casey, when did you decide that Laura had to marry Cortez of Aztec fame?” – Christy
“We’re not getting married. We’re dating. The relationship is not going to work out.” – Laura

“I just encouraged Laura’s affections towards him…” – Casey on Cortez
“Affections I didn’t know I had…” – Laura

“Alex, cover your ears please” – Christy, preparing to explain to Mom exactly why she thinks that we need more warnings for the younger students’ Hamlet book.

2 Comments:

Blogger J. Nathan Matias said...

I would expect it not to work out. From what I understand, Cortez didn't date. He took.

Was La Malinche a saviour figure or the prime enabler of a brutal conquest? I don't know; I haven't done the research. What do you think?

8:22 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

hahahaha on the sad song. I don't know. It appeals to my funnybone right now.

2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home