Thursday, August 16, 2007

Rainy Day Dreams

I love rain. On a day like this I could ask nothing more than to curl up in a leather chair, preferably in a garnet-red velvet bathrobe, with cello concertos pouring out of really good speakers, and read Proverbs or Spurgeon or Pilgrim's Progress or The Valley of Vision or the Song of Songs.

Or I could spend the day illuminating a space of parchment, using jewel-tones of ruby, amethyst, sapphire, topaz, emerald, and black, to enlarge a single capital letter---to inscribe and adorn a single line of life-transforming wisdom. What line would I choose? Perhaps "And the trumpets sounded for him on the other side" from Pilgrim's Progress. Perhaps "This is my beloved and this is my friend" from the Song. Perhaps "There is a time for all things."

There is a time for all things, and today is not the day to fulfill my rain-sweetened dreams. I have work to do. But my work is good; it is craftsmanship of its own kind. I love to labor over "the cathedral," which is my name for the Redesign project.

Meanwhile, just the dreaming of rainy-day dreams makes me happy. :-)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I smiled when I went from your post to my homepage and saw, under the heading "Today", a little depiction of a thunderstorm.

It's hot here.

p.s. the leather chair and robe and books and all sound absolutely sumptious.

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home