Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Me? Boil Water?

I myself am often surprised by life's little quirks. This morning I had just finished making my breakfast when David bounced in.

"Oh! Is that leftover hollandaise sauce?"
"Yes it is, and yes you can have it."
"Yay!"
"Out of curiosity, what do you plan to do with it? Are you going to make yourself eggs and toast to put it on?"
"Yep."
::pause::
"Um, Christy."
"Yes David?"
"Are you supposed to put in enough water so that the eggs are covered, or...."
"You know, I was just writing about this last night. Care and feeding of boys and how they should at least know how to heat soup and scramble eggs."
"I know what I'm doing! I just... yeah..."
"The eggs should be covered."
"Thanks!"
::longer pause::
"So how long should the eggs stay in the water?"
I stared at him, marveling at his boy-ness. Then I asked, "Do you want them soft or hard?"
"Medium."
At this point Dad piped in: "You want three minutes for medium eggs and if you want them hard, seven minutes. To be really sure, you can leave them in for 15 minutes; that will make them hard as anything. Unless you're in Denver, where the boiling point is---"

My dad is Exhibit A of the well-trained boy who knows what to do with a kitchen. In fact, guess who taught me to make dropped eggs on toast with hollandaise sauce?

Bingo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home