Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Sweetness, Light, and Lucky

A few days ago I completed one of my semi-annual tours through the backlogs of this blog, and the result is that I'm feeling penitent for a certain lack of "happy posts" in the last eighteen months. Obviously there are reasons for that, but reasons aren't excuses. This blog is overdue for some sweetness and light. :-)

In token of which, I want to share with you a new favorite song of mine. I don't usually flip for love songs, but I had to do something to become reconciled to the romance in Great Expectations, so I gave myself a lethal dose of David's song "Lucky," by Jason Mraz.

I do mean lethal: sixteen or eighteen repetitions in one sitting. But actually it stood up pretty well to that kind of abuse; I still like it. My favorite part of the song, I think, is its completely enslaving folk rhythms. They are right up there with Sixpence None the Richer's "Kiss Me," which I've mentioned elsewhere in the archives of this blog. I'm also quite fond of the chorus in "Lucky":

Lucky I'm in love with my best friend
Lucky to have been where I have been
Lucky to be coming home again

Anyway, all is forgiven, young lovers, and truce to Eros (for now). And those of you who are in love---courting, engaged, married---check out those songs. They are good ones. ;-)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

:-D

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home